Monday, March 8, 2010

I've caught the gardening bug!

With Spring fast approaching I've started daydreaming of massive vegetable and herb gardens again. I've been doing a ton of research and think I'm finally ready to have my first 'real' garden this year! I'm going to do it all in containers since my life is fairly unpredictable as far as where I'll be living and I also like the fact that if I screw up with the placement of the veggies I can just move the big lugs around :)

My inspiration garden!

Part of a great article on container gardening
http://hubpages.com/hub/Vegetable-Growing-in-Containers

Another idea I may try to save space - vertical gardening

Craftzine How-To: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/07/how-to_vertical_vegetables.html?CMP=OTC-5JF307375954

Based on what I know we will eat the most of I'm planning to start this March...
Herbs: Borage, Chervil, Dill, Ginger, Lemon Balm, Mint, Oregno, Sage & Tarragon
Vegetables: Bush beans, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, sweet corn, lettuce, mustard, green onions, peppers, potatoes, radish, tomatoes & squash.

Luckilly I have an extra pair of green thumbs this time so I may actually pull this off!

Of course I have been spending as much time on etsy looking for adorable garden-related items as I have actually researching gardening techniques. Enjoy!

Vintage silverware Garden Markers from http://monkeysalwayslook.etsy.com


Handcrafted birdhouse from http://Mymothersgarden.etsy.com


Handpainted bird pots from http://SchwidleShop.etsy.com

7 comments:

SocksAndMittens said...

Love your picks! especially the garden markers! :)

SarahBeth said...

I'm planning a container garden too! The shoe holder idea is really wild - gotta research that! Following now - please keep us up-to-date on your vegies!

eeniemoni said...

The shoe organizer thingie for plants is genius! Thanks for the idea.

EtsyFoodSnob said...

Thanks everyone! I'm ticked at myself I just threw away one of those shoe organizers a few weeks ago. I'll be posting on freecycle/craigslist soon asking for planting materials :)

Will definitely update often with my garden attempt!

Mami Made It said...

Great post! Love your picks and wish you luck with your garden! I am longing for warm weather too, to start gardening season over here (at the moment 2 in snow).

My Mother's Garden said...

Hi Erica~

Many thanks for including my birdhouse in this great post on garden inspiration! I love those spoon garden markers.

Come visit me if you'd like, I have a blog about my Fl. garden and my ceramic art.

Happy Gardening!
Karrita

senioritis said...

those painted bird pots from schwindle are awesome, great colors!